Wednesday, July 30, 2008

ADDENDA

I had a serious memory lapse when writing the current posting about the CCC (below), and I’m thankful someone caught it. After championing the cause of unsung NAHS musicians a month ago, I proceeded to overlook the wonderful swing band, The Mello-Tones, who played many times for our CCC dances. They were so good we tended to forget they were local lads.

Thanks to Bill Young, I have a list of the members (and if you can fill the blank, please let me know):

Jim Wagner, Perry Class of 55, Alto Sax
Jim Pannier, NA Class of 56, Alto Sax
Joe Ford, NA Class of 56, Trumpet
Bill Fiddler, Perry Class of 55, Piano
Butch Blumenschein, NA Class of 56, Trumpet
George Geisel (sp?), NA Class of 57? Trombone
______________, Class ? Bass (Viol, not Guitar)
Bob Brier, NA Class of 56, Drums
Bill Young, Class of 58, Tenor Sax
Tom Regan, Class of 56, Tenor Sax

Bill remembers that at some point during the evening, Bob Brier would perform a drum solo, and says, “Whenever he started, someone would turn on all of the lights, which I believe completely destroyed the effect.”


* * *

Three of us girls in my 7:30 am Yoga class here in Ames are going to our 50th High School Class Reunions this summer, and we’ve been comparing notes about it (after Savasana and Namaste). Today Jackie reported that last weekend she took her mom to her 69th class reunion somewhere here in Iowa. Fourteen class members attended—along with their 14 chauffeurs! Jackie said, “I got to listen, when I came to pick up Mom, as they made plans for their big 70th reunion next summer.”

Anyone want to hazard a guess in what sort of vehicle they may be conveying us when we gather in Wexford in 2028 for our 70th?

No comments: